Friday, July 22, 2011

Somalia - How we can help (Warning this is very sad)

I've been seeing alot of reports about Somalia and the worst drought East Africa has seen in 60yrs. The report that has touched me most was regarding the children. I read about children being left dead and near dead on the side of the road as their families had to make the heartbreaking decision to continue on without them, for fear they would all die. Some of these families walk a few weeks to even a month to reach refugee camps so they can have food to eat. It's one of the saddest things I've ever read and It's so hard for me to imagine, but the pictures tell me it's absolutely real. We are so blessed to live where we do and not have to worry about food or water and I think alot of us, me included, tend to take it for granted and forget that not everyone is as lucky. I cried reading about these mothers who had to make the decision to leave their home in the first place, and even worse to have to leave behind their dying children. I want to help. None of the articles I read thus far said where I could donate or how I could help these starving people but I did an Internet search today and found a page that listed not one place, but several that are helping and who desperately need donations. I wanted to post it here in case anyone else would like to help. Even if we all just donate a few dollars it would make a huge difference in the lives of these children.

http://www.takepart.com/news/2011/07/20/how-to-help-east-africa-drought?cmpid=tp-fb-2011-7-20-somalia-help

No comments:

Post a Comment